Tweetbot gets Mandatory Update to Deal with Twitter API Changes
Tapbots has released an important and mandatory update to their iOS Twitter app, Tweetbot. The update, version 2.7.2 for those keeping score, brings the app up to the standards required by the Twitter 1.1 API. Effectively Tweetbot had to update in order to continue to work after 5th March of this year.
The update covers both their iPhone & iPod Touch version of the app as well as the iPad version. These are two separate downloads in the App Store. The updates for the iOS version simply bring the app up to the standard required by the Twitter 1.1 API.
For Tweetbot for Mac users, the updates are a bit more comprehensive. The update, which is available now in the Mac App Store, brings the version up to 1.2 and has a long list of improvements and updates along with the new API
requirements. Here are the highlights of what has chances in the Mac version:
- New options for menubar icon and dock badge. See Notifications in Preferences.
- Enable/disable notifications when a specific user tweets. Control-click on a user you are following and choose ‘Enable/Disable Notifications’ from the context menu.
- Thumbnail support for Vine and Flickr.
- Ability to reorder accounts in account preferences.
- Support for adding .mp4 video to tweets.
- Fixed issue with uploading animated gifs.
- Can now drag .mp4 or images into app icon to create a new tweet.
- Can now open profiles or tweets on twitter.com.
- Clicking on the date label in the status detail will open in your browser.
- If the username/hashtag completion popover appears and you press up arrow when there’s no selection or the top item selected, the popover now goes away. Same when at the bottom.
- Fixed the issue where ‘goto user’ would fail if there was a space before or after the username.
- Fixed the issue where a twitter search url didn’t work as expected in some cases.
- Fixed the issue where if someone faved your tweet it looked like you faved it.
- ‘View in Favstar’ now respects open links in background preference
- Fixed the issue where when creating new tweet, typing something, hitting escape and then clicking somewhere would dismiss the tweet.
- Fixed the issue with changing muted keyword durations.
- Updated to use Twitter’s 1.1 API.
- Updated to meet some of Twitter’s new UI requirements.
Here is the key for AlliOSNews readers: If you are a Tweetbot user on Mac or iOS, you must upgrade to these new releases no later than 5th March or the app will cease to function. This is NOT the fault of Tapbots but rather the changes Twitter has made to their API.
If you are new to Tweetbot I highly recommend it. It is in my opinion the best Twitter app available for Mac and iOS.
- FitPRO: Workout Automator iPhone App
- A New Entertaining Logic Puzzle Stroop Effect! Released for iOS
- Theodolite Augmented Reality Nav App – Spring Sale – 50% Off
- Meqanic – A new kind of Puzzle Game for iOS
- Zombie Virus Survival – Addictive Free New Game for iPhone and iPad
- Dogalize, the First Ever Veterinary Telemedicine and Social Network App
- iBank for iPad now half price through April 10 only
- iOS 7 Adoption Rate at 87% according to Apple
- How To View Open Web Pages on Your iPad From Your iPhone
- Crossword for You Features 60+ Exclusive Theme-Based Puzzles