Sparrow for iPhone Release but is it Ready?
The ever popular Sparrow mail app has now made its way to the iPhone. The new mail app brings most of what has made the Mac mail version popular to the iPhone but it has some significant limitations that buyers should be aware of before spending the $2.99 for it in the App Store.
Here is a rundown of the key features of Sparrow according to their iTunes App Store page
- Full IMAP support:
Use your Gmail, Google Apps, iCloud, Yahoo, AOL, Mobile Me and custom IMAP accounts.
- Unified Inbox
All your mails in a unique mailbox.
Directly attach photos & images when composing a mail. No more cumbersome back and forth with your photo library.
- Up & down your conversations
Swipe up or down on a message to navigate a conversation.
- Everything is a swipe away
Swipe once to uncover your mailboxes, labels and folders.
Swipe again to get to your account list.
Mail is much nicer with your friends’ profile pictures.
- Message swipe
Star, add a label, archive or delete a conversation right away simply by swiping a message.
- Quick mailbox switch
Navigate between your inbox, unread and favorites by tapping/swiping the top bar.
- Mark all as read
One click to rule them all. You can also press a message for a few seconds to mark it as read/unread.
- Thread view
Tap the top bar in the conversation to quickly navigate all messages in a thread.
- Pull to refresh
Finally, the simplest way to refresh comes to email.
- Priority Inbox support
Automatically identify your important email and separates it out from everything else.
Have a pro and a private mail address? Use alias to keep things separated.
- Powerful search
Local and remote search allow you to find the mail you’re looking for.
And many more features crafted with love to discover:
- Quick sender switch in compose window
- Mark all as read
- Read/unread with a long press on a message cell
- Reply all quick switch…
There are however some things missing like Push notifications. Sparrow plans to enable Push notifications in a future release but it is not there right now. If that is a “show stopper” for you, now you know. The other key thing, like the Mac version, there is no Exchange support in this app. If you are an Exchange user like me then you will have to still use the iPhone Mail app to check that account, essentially having your mail in two locations.
If you want to get Sparrow yourself and give it a try, it is $2.99 in the App Store and can be found at the link below
- Foursquare App Update Brings A New Look & New Features
- SmartDay App – an Adaptive Organizer Now Available for iOS and Mac
- Pool Adikus Game for iOS Updated
- CALC app for iPhone and iPad now includes Bitcoin currency converter
- Add Holiday Cheer to Your Photos With Christmasfy
- Apple Stores go (RED) to Support World AIDS Day
- Angry Birds Seasons Updated For The Holidays
- All Art Authority apps half-price for Black Friday
- Celebrate the Season with 9 iOS Apps for Kids Free for Black Friday
- MacMall 60 Hour Black Friday Sale Underway!